Saturday, April 8, 2017

Review Time - Persuasion by Jane Austen

Okay, I admit it. I started reading this twice. 19th Century English Literature was not my normal type of read, but I was curious to see what all the fuss was about. Initially I struggled to understand the English dialect and was confused in the first few pages by one character's love interest in a cousin. I questioned whether or not I was reading it correctly. However in 19th century Europe, this was indeed considered a suitable match and very much acceptable. My brain, you see, was still in the 21st century and therefore, not fully comprehending something the United States deems quite unacceptable. Then one day I was home sick and I caught the movie Pride and Prejudice, released in 2005. I really enjoyed it. By watching that movie first, I grasped a better feel for the language and time period. So a couple days later with that movie still fresh in my head, I jumped right back in to Persuasion. And guess what? This time I read completely through it, and did enjoy it. A love story interjecting some amusing satire, I can now understand why there are so many fans of Jane Austen's works.

No comments:

Post a Comment