Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Book Review Time - The Book Thief

Markus Zusak writes with such poetry and figurative language that you'll find yourself reading passages several times over just to hear the music the words play in your ears. Also, unlike with The Kite Runner, this book left me with a renewed faith in mankind that even in the midst of war there can be love and kindness.  However, I'm holding back on giving it five stars (on Goodreads) for a couple of minor personal annoyances. I didn't care for the use of foreshadowing by the narrator (death). I didn't want to be told what was going to happen before it appeared in the book. Let the story flow naturally down its path. It felt at times to me as though it interrupted the rhythm of the story. Because of this extra narration, the book probably could have been shortened a bit. But even with that being said, it was a beautiful and touching read and I look forward to seeing that portrayed in the movie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment