Saturday, May 31, 2014

93% Done! Maybe.

As I near my original goal of 70,000 words for my book (currently 66,091), and watch the word count meter rise toward completion, I am thrilled at the thought and possibility that because I do not quite feel "done", that I may surpass my original word count goal.  Why on earth would I want all that additional work?  Well, when I think back to the beginning when I started this book, hesitant at the daunting task that I laid before myself, I couldn't help but to doubt that I would actually reach 40,000 words let alone 70,000.  Silly really that I let fear of the unknown and a questionable amount of confidence attempt to paralyze me.  But now that I actually see the finish line up ahead I have a renewed energy and my momentum is gaining.  How many words will I actually end up with?  Who knows.  The important thing for me is that when it feels done to me, then it will be.  Unless of course my beta readers tell me otherwise!

Now there's another scary thought -- releasing what I wrote to beta readers . . . . . but this an essential and important step.  A beta reader will see what's missing on the page that I do not.  A beta reader will point out errors, admissions, and let you know when something doesn't sound quite right.  Some writers only chose a couple of readers, while others get as many as they can.  I'm not sure how many I'll ask, but I do look forward to their important feedback no matter how much it bruises my writer's ego.  How else will I learn?  So sock it to me beta readers!  But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, I still need to finish the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment