Sunday, April 27, 2014

Book Review Time - "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger

Hmmm, not sure how to rate this. Probably 2.5 stars (on Goodreads) is more accurate, somewhere between it was okay and I liked it. Unfortunately maybe I just wanted to like it more than I did. I was intrigued by the description on the book's jacket and while there were some things that I liked about the book, there were an equal amount of things that I did not. The English spellings were a distraction to me and drove me a little nuts. I constantly wanted to correct the "s" back to "z" (i.e., realise). Getting past that, there was a promising plot to the story, intriguing characters and an interesting story line with the ghosts and possibilities of life after death, but without giving away spoilers, a few things did not naturally add up and make sense which lessened the believability of the core story. I feel as though perhaps the author should have written two books -- a fabulous historical non-fiction book about the cemetery she works at and loves, and then a good old fashioned sleep with your lights on scary ghost story.  

Oh well, on to something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment