Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Soapbox Moment: Alert – Cougars are Now Offensive!

Okay, so my husband and I were watching the news the other night when a story came on that made us do a double take.  Did I just hear correctly?  Did they just say what I thought they did?  My husband and I just looked at each other dumbfounded.  Really?  We laughed in disbelief. 
Apparently, a Utah school held a student vote for the name of their future mascot.  And after the votes were tallied a winner emerged, the Cougar.  Sounds simple enough, right?  Wrong.  The school board decided to veto this choice of mascot and instead chose to name their new mascot something more appropriate, the Chargers.  Why you ask?  Get this, it’s because the term cougar might be offensive to older women.  Yes, you heard it right.  Since the modern vernacular for cougar refers to older 40-something women who seek out and have romantic relationships with younger men, this might be too offensive.   Allegedly parents were complaining to the school board about the distasteful connotation the animal now brings.
Now I ask, wouldn’t anyone with half a brain see the animal on the school’s logo and know that the animal is the cougar they are referring to?  Or were they planning on using a picture of a vivacious older woman with her boy toy?
Again, really?  Give me a break people.  Has society really become that uptight and PC?  Why even let the kids vote on their choice of mascot for their school?  Perhaps these folks need to stop watching so many made for TV movies and focus their energies on something a little more important -- say world hunger (since we know it won’t be a campaign to save the cougar!).
Exiting my soapbox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment