Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Grumpy Santa and the Non-Conformists

So last night Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was on TV.  This is a highly anticipated event for me each year right along with The Grinch, The Year without a Santa Claus, etc.  Love ‘em!  However, the more I write, the more I notice things about the way movies and books are written, hidden meanings, clues . . . you get the point.  This is not a negative for me.  In fact I thrive on it.  Anyway, while watching this 1964 classic, I put aside my childlike glee for a moment and viewed the movie through my analytical glasses.  You know what I discovered?  The younger generation is probably appalled by this movie.   Political Correctness is nowhere to be found.  Not everyone wins a soccer trophy in this movie!
The Santa in this particular movie I found to be a predominantly crotchety old fellow.  First of all, he’s going to cancel Christmas because of a little snow.  Now you’d think having lived at the North Pole all his life that he’d have this gig covered by now.  Secondly, he admonishes Rudolph’s father for the fact that Rudolph has a red nose stating “ . . . you should be ashamed of yourself”.  Then, after the elves have sung him a beautiful song, “We are Santa’s Elves”, he mumbles that the song needs more work, gets up and scurries out the door slamming it.  Mrs. Claus of course tries to cover for his rudeness.   Is this grumpy Santa the one we really want to be leaving us presents under our tree?  Fortunately he gets in a better mood by the end of the movie after realizing Rudolph can guide his sleigh with "that wonderful nose".
It’s interesting to note that the original 1964 movie didn’t have Santa returning to the Island of Misfit Toys as he promised.  Apparently there was a public outcry that Santa did not fulfill his promise to go to the island.  So in 1965 they rewrote the movie to include Santa’s journey to the island to pick up the misfits before delivering his toys.
Now for the non-conformists, Take Hermey.  This poor elf doesn’t like making toys.  He wants to be a dentist.  And what does everyone do?  Make fun of him.  Yell at him.  Of course the optimist in Hermey tries to fit in by fixing the teeth on the dolls, but the head elf tells him that no one wants a chewing doll (just wait until he sees the dolls of the 21st century). 
Then Rudolph.  Well, you know, he has that red nose and all.  Heaven forbid!  We can’t have any of that.  He is promptly kicked off the flight team.  When his new girlfriend Clarice walks home with him, she is reprimanded for being seen with a red-nosed reindeer.  Again, can’t imagine this type of message being written into any of today’s current children movies.  Thank goodness Rudolph becomes the hero in the end.
Just imagine for a moment where we’d be without the non-conformists in society.  Does anyone know the highly successful names of Steve Jobs or even Lady Gaga?  Talk about thinking outside of the box.
But don’t take me wrong, I’m not trying to be the scrooge.  I still love these old animated movies.  I can’t help it.  I don’t care whether or not they are PC.  They bring joy to my heart and that’s what matters.  Therefore, in the future I can be found eagerly awaiting the Snow Miser and Heat Miser to make their appearance by dancing their way onto my TV screen.  Popcorn anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment